Wednesday, April 20, 2011

NAUVOO



We finally made it to Nauvoo! What a fun trip to visit Grammie on her mission! It was so fun to be with her.... and she was so awesome to take time off from her busyness to show us around-- and feed us- since there weren't many places to eat in town! Thanks so much for spoiling us Mom- we are thankful for your example!!!


The Temple was incredible!!! It was so neat to drive into town and see it all lit up--shining on the hill!
We were so excited to go and see Mom's new life in Nauvoo- Here we are in her house- she lives right at the base of the hill- and her front windows look out at the temple! Lucky!!!

One of our favorite things throughout the whole weekend, was doing baptisms for the dead with all the teenagers! They did such a great job- and had such a great time being together!!



I love this statue, and the meaning behind it. It was right as Joseph and Hyrum were leaving town to go to carthage... when Joseph said, "I go like a lamb to the slaughter."
We started with Carthage. We had one day to be together with everyone before they headed back home.... it was awesome to see the sights with all the cousins!


It was a little rainy, and cold.... but everything was still so beautiful.


Grammie took us on all the tours. Here we are going into the room Joseph and Hyrum were shot in. The bullet hole through the door was the one that killed Hyrum. The kids were fascinated that it was still there-- and everything was like it was back then.
While we were in the room.... Mom played her violin, and we all sang "A Poor Weyfaring Man of Grief," Just after Mom told the story about Dan Jones singing it for them as the Mobs were coming.
Downstairs.... Mom showed us how they lived in the jail, and that the jail people were actually really nice to them. Mom did a stellar job on all the tours- the kids were enthralled!
Next, we went to the visitors center, and were able to watch the movie, and even go into the Women's garden. Josh found a girl friend!! :)
Maddie, Brynne and all the girls were loving all the statues... and loved seeing the women's progression through life- as a young girl to a grandma.
Clayson got some good practice in too!!
Watching the movie-- by the end, everyone was asleep! Nice!
Everywhere we went, we were loving all the cool things of yesteryear. Josh the model-- really lived it!!!! I guess it gets kind of old saying--- stand here- let's get a picture-So he gave me a piece of what I was looking for! :) Dashing Josh!!! The other poses were much better-- but of course blurry.
I think I have a fettish these days with landscape pictures!!! Either that.... or I am so ready for spring! I was loving all the blossoming trees, flowers- and GREEN!!! It was beautiful!
My favorite..... Tulips! I love Tulips- and their simple, sweet, cuteness!
The highlight of the trip was of course..... RENDEZVOUS!!!! Mom was called a few months ago to be the director of the nightly show-- totally in her element!!! :) She does at least a show every single night- sometimes two. She has a few different casts, and every missionary is included- so it is constantly changing. Every day she runs through their lines- and vignettes! Here she is in the Green Room right before the show!!
This is out of order.... but of course we found a great frozen custard place in town.... Mom's close friend's shop..... of course! We became frequents! Here we are after the show- loving every bite!
Having Mom give us the tours was awesome. She took us in and out of all the nooks and crannies of every building! Behind the scenes and all! Here we are in the Ballroom- right where they had all the original dances with Joseph Smith. It's even the exact same floor and all! Mom even had us do some square dancing so we could say we danced where Joseph Smith did!

AND NOW... THE GOODS!!!!


It just doesn't get any better than this!!!! We didn't realize Mom was such a Thespian!! Where have you been hiding this talent all these years Mom?? She isn't usually in the play.... but since we were there- she got gussied up and jumped right in. After all..... she knows all the songs and lines - and could put on the play by herself!! :) This scene is the RS sisters scene :)
This play was no ordinary, typical play. The cast is about 100 people- with about 100 in the audience. And like I said, every Elder and Sister is in it- with smiling faces, to say the least!!! It really is a crack up.... because you have all these horse/ farm/ business --occupation men- that have never sung in their lives- let alone get on a stage.... and suddenly they're magically Thespian's!!! Solo's and all! :) Here are the men singing our favorite song "We will go willingly.... because we have to!!" Seriously.....That song is hilarious!!!
My favorite picture of all..... Do you remember The Giles from the 2nd ward growing up?? They are new missionary's out there. Well... when they arrived, they told mom- we will do anything but we don't act or sing. Mom told them - "Everyone has to be in the play!" So... Bro. Giles said he would be the curtain puller. Obviously- not only the curtain puller! Here he is - singing "Willingly.... because we have to!" It was so hard to not bust up laughing. The look on his face says it all-- if you ever show this picture I will kill you!! LOVE IT!!!
After the show.... Mom thought we should all have a chance to act! "You know.....we all have a little talent deep down in there somewhere --- right?!!! :)
Some got it...............
And some got it DOUBLE!!!!!!!! :)

If only we could have recorded it. Great JOB mom! It's amazing you pull this off every night! We could definitely see your magic touch!!

The next day we finished up all the sights- and enjoyed the beauty of Nauvoo. Like I said.... the flowers were so awesome!! Maybe I'm just old now.... but thinking of Heavenly Father creating these- intricate, little details makes me so happy!!!

Nauvoo..... is just not the same unless you go on a Carriage ride!! Here we are in the freezing cold- all bundled riding around learning the history of the city!
We even made it down to Joseph Smith's area. The white house in the back ground is the Mansion house that he and Emma lived in.
And then of course..... the graves of Joseph, Emma, and Hyrum.
Some of our favorites were the prophets homes. This one is John Taylor's. The kids loved all the bright yellow trim- and the cool things inside. This little rocking horse was the one that they had left behind as they left Nauvoo. After they were across the river a couple of days.... John Taylor's little boy kept crying and crying for his horse.... So John went back (even though he knew there were mobs there,) to get it. It is the exact horse he brought with him across the plains. I couldn't post all the pictures- but they also LOVED going to the Family Living Center and learned how they made bread, ropes, candles- it was all hands on, and so fun. They also loved all the little shops- their favorites: The Blacksmiths (they even got a ring!) The Brick yard (love those Nauvoo bricks,) Drug store, School and even the Printing shop.
This is Wilford Woodruff's house.

Even the exact bible, and glasses he wore.
The girls really like Brigham Young's house--
especially all the little toys, and potties in the kids rooms.
And the big girls loved all the china in Brigham Young's house. Brigham and his wife Maryann were way into house stuff- they even painted on the grain - so the wood looked real. The china was said to have been found buried in the back yard, and was all the original stuff Brigham had brought back from England. She buried it so the mobs wouldn't take it.
Lucious fields of lavender and green, green green!!
And finally.... This is nothing to do with Nauvoo- but April fools was good this year!! ( Like I'm even posting this - and Like I think I'm funny.... just kind of dorky!! :) Josh kept telling me how boring April fools would be with us out of town. I told him, that we would have to celebrate it another day. Mark and I left for General Conference (we thought we'd take advantage of his Bishop tickets before the baby was born)- and told the kids we left them a little treat for tomorrow (April 1.) Zack begged if he could take some for "Snack, snuggle and read!" "Sure... Of course!!!" :) What they didn't know was that I had filled an entire bag of oreo's with toothpaste! I thought they were obvious-- but the kids had no idea that they had even been opened! I also made rice krispy treats- with cotton. After eating a few oreos- Zack thought they were actually mint oreos.... then realized something was different! And, after gnawing on the cotton for a while- Josh looked in the pan and found the note at the bottom..... APRIL FOOLS!!!! Ha Ha....Remember last year Josh? I guess it was my turn.....I got you good this time! Nice Mom Huh? One of these days, I might grow up!

7 comments:

doug said...

Renee Renee':
Thank you for the wonderful post. The Rendezvous was Rendezwow! Priceless. Ode to April fools! I think this is becoming my favorite holiday!! Love it.

Heidi and Rich said...

That was priceless... those pictures of the Rendezvous were so fun. But I bet it was so much better in person. Thanks for sharing the photos for those of us who weren't there. The whole time you guys were there I kept thinking - this is what Carol has been waiting for - for so many years... to have her family come out and visit her on her mission. Thanks for representing the rest of us!!

Leslie said...

Looks like a great trip. LOVE the photos...We loved the rendezvous pictures as well... ;) CJ looks so happy! How great! Glad you got to go! Looks like a fabulous time was had by all. . .

The Brown Life said...

You are so awesome. Torrey got me good this year. I can't believe I fell for it. She wrapped a hair tie around the sprayer and totally got me. I then put salt on their toothbrushes. They were so mad at me.

Dorothy said...

Thanks for a great post! It looks like you had a great time. I wish we all could have been there...how fun for the cousins!
Great pics of Mom. Keep up the "journaling"

renee' said...

What Fantastic photos Cosi, I'm so impressed with your ability to capture the moment and memories. You look so stinkin' cute with your little belly, I'm so excited for your new little one and all the adventures he will bring.

What a great mom you are and I will definitely be using your April Fool's ideas when my kids are a little older. Love you!

Jeanette and Dave said...

Cosi - we can't imagine life without you...you are so delightful! Your mom is amazing - she may never want to come home because she's having so much fun.I remember springtime in Nauvoo - it was so cold.

GREAT BLOG POST!

Powered By Blogger