CARMEL & MONTEREY BAY CALIFORNIA
PEBBLE BEACH
August 2013
Mark had set aside a week to go to youth conference. But-- since his calling was recently changed, he thought that the new Bishop should go instead of him. So-- he surprised me one day- and planned a trip for the two of us (since he already had time off) to go to Carmel California. What a treat!!! We were so excited to get away for a few days--
and loved all the fun things there is to do in this area of CA.
As we first got there-- we decided we wanted to get straight to the coast and move. So- we decided- tandom-ing the 17 mile drive would be awesome!!
The ride was glorious! Seriously-- little Europe!! Who knew we had such awesome places in America! We were in heaven!! These are just a few "bike-by's" So amazing!!!
Before I explain this trip..... I have to explain our life at this time. I was sick-- sick --sick. Most of you already knew-- but we were due with our 6th baby the first week of March. I didn't plan on writing about this-- but it is a time of our lives- I don't want to forget, so I decided to put it in our family journal. So--- For 13 weeks I was pregnant this summer. Yes-- I know, we were going to be one of "those" families-- with a Senior and a baby. But--we were excited to have the chance for Jackson to be raised with a buddy-- instead of being totally spoiled and self-centered. Let's be honest-- no body wants to grow up by themselves- so we thought in the long run-- this would be much easier. So-- through all of these pictures below-- I am huge-- and seriously so sick. It was my sickest pregnancy yet-- even up to the morning of my ultrasound (when I found out- the baby had died) I was throwing up. I very sadly miscarried the end of August-- which lead to a D&C-- and quite a bit of major emotions. On the day I miscarried, I went in for a routine visit-- they were going to do the blood testing this visit- to tell me what the sex of the baby was. However, when I got there, they couldn't find the heart beat..... so they sent me away for a couple of hours, until I could get into the ultrasound tech. As I came back, after worrying my head off, I went in for the ultrasound, and they confirmed, that the baby had died (due to it's measurements) within the last day or two. On the ultrasound-- it looked like a perfect little baby. I thought for sure-- something was wrong with their machine..... Maybe it was broken. They immediately had me come into a room- to plan a D&C. I had had some pretty strong feelings about this baby-- so I still didn't believe them. But-- they wanted me to get the D&C within a day or two- so I didn't hemorage- if it aborted itself. So-- I scheduled it for the next day. The next morning-- I was still in denial-- until I made them do a second ultrasound-- and the picture-- after having died a few days before (now)- was completely different. The baby did not look the same. I was so sad. Even as much as I complained, and felt weird about having Josh so old-- and a baby-- we were really excited. In fact when we told the kids-- they were crushed. It was definitely a sad time for our family, but as I went through the D&C procedure, it was confirmed to me that this is the way it was supposed to be. I was able to have complete peace- and an assurance that this was not for nothing. We all learned a great deal from this experience-- and it definitely strengthened my testimony like nothing I've ever been through. I hold this experience as one of the greatest experience and blessings the Lord has given me. It's amazing how the Lord hand works in all things.
I thought I'd share the cute little picture they printed for me as they were looking for the heart beat.
I thought the ultra sound was cute-- the tech was nice, and went through and pointed out that the ears, face, hands (up to its mouth- and behind its head ) and legs etc. had developed. Super sweet.
So---Backing up.....
Since we couldn't do much, biking the 17 mile drive- casually and leisurely was the perfect thing to do on this trip. We rode on the tandem so Mark could pull me up the hills :)
Along the 17 miles-- there were glorious settings like this everywhere. So Beautiful!
The second day--- I was dead tired, so Mark headed out to Golf at "Spy glass" Golf Course, and I stayed in the hotel to sleep. When I picked him up- I had to get a picture, even though he had taken off his golf shoes. Pretty sweet to be golfing at Pebble Beach!!
We ate at some of the most amazing restaurants-- seriously-- real European, Italian food. Thanks to Julie who got all the details from her brother John- since he is a regular there! Oh my-- they were amazing. Our favorite: Casonova, and The Fish. Amazing!!
The boardwalk was even fun to walk on-- such a fun town!!
After relaxing and having so much fun - it was time to come home.
After we got home-- Allie, Jackson and I had the opportunity to go down and visit Lily and Natalie! They are adorable!!!

Becca is such an awesome Mom-- and handles the twins like it's no big deal!
Allie and Jackson were in heaven!!!
Poor Natalie wasn't!

They were the tiny-est twins I have ever seen. So Adorable!
And-- so fun to go down and be with them!!
And-- so fun to go down and be with them!!

I'm finding a lot of these on my phone lately. :)
I guess Allie was a little bored, and got some good selfies!!
Right before school started-- we were excited to head up to Kurt Gowdy for camping/boating with our friends- the Baer's, VanTassell's and Keate's. What a crazy fun time!!! It was so awesome to be up in the mountains-- in the fresh air.
While the kids were all out boating-- us Mom's cooked up some tasty grub!
We got a little carried away :)
Allie and Ty worked hard so we could all eat.
Unfortunately-- they didn't catch anything- so we starved :)
Unfortunately-- they didn't catch anything- so we starved :)
And Maddie and Cambri-- brought the entertainment. He HE! They are hilarious-- they suddenly show up- wearing these digs. Nice girls!
The boating was phenomenal-- super awesome lake! Surfing behind the Baer's boat-- was the top pick!
Josh is loving Wakeboarding-- he's getting better and better everyday.
And here is Calvin Baer-- showing us how it's done.
So fun hanging out all together!!
Jackson is such a crack up. He sat here in this spot- for a couple of hours "Fixin" the trailer.
He kept telling everyone that passed by-- "I fixin' da traider"- as he banged away.
Such a boy-- SO cute!
Such a boy-- SO cute!
The boy thinks he's one of the older kids. Anything they do--
He thinks he can take on himself. He was insistent that he roast the marshmellows himself.
It was a bit black and crunchy when he was done :)
He thinks he can take on himself. He was insistent that he roast the marshmellows himself.
It was a bit black and crunchy when he was done :)
After the campouts-- and Summer events, it was time to get busy getting the kids ready to go back to school. We fit in several Dr. appts that week-- so they could all be fresh and ready to go for the new year. Jackson wasn't so fond of the appts. But-- he sure looked cute patiently waiting. :)
The final week before school started-- we tried to fit in as much fun as possible! One of the days- the 4 older kids and I went Mountain biking. These kids rocked the mountain!!
We decided to bike blue sky-- and Indian summer. It was a sweet ride. I was amazed at how well everyone stayed together! They only took one break to wait for their pregnant mom :) This was one of the many things I did-- that I'm sure caused my miscarriage. :( Even though-- I had done much more vigorous activities in my previous pregnancies-- and I really didn't exert myself very much. Who knows-- if my stupidness caused it.
Anyway-- Allie was on fire-- right up there with the others. It just doesn't get any better! Being up in the mountains-- and biking with my favorite people. Only wish Mark and Jackson were there! Bummer- Mark had to work, and since we'd get no where with Jackson at this age-- he stayed with friends.
We made it!!! I told you they were amazing! Here they are at the top of blue-sky--
On a very hot summer day!
We even made it back to the car- without any injuries or problems. Woot Woot!
That night we decided to really splurge and go to a movie! It was the first in a really long time--
Despicable Me 2
Jackson was in heaven- and thought all the popcorn was for him. What are we going to do with this kid!?! With 4 older siblings handing him everything he wants-- we are in trouble!!
Random iphone shot-- apparently someone thought we needed a picture of his new cleats- he worked so hard to earn! So-- I thought it was worthy enough to put in the journal. These cleats mean a lot to Zack :) I love it when they put their hard earned money to something-- and cherish it so much!
The final hoorah- before school starting was that Mom, Dan and Julie came for the weekend!! What a total treat to have them all come-- and be with us!!! The first morning they were there-- a Hot air balloon randomly landed in our back yard. I guess it was having problems- so it picked here to land. The kids were so excited!!!
They even got to go out and see how its all done. The family running it was so nice. They let the kids get inside the basket-- and check it all out! It was Sweet! I love Fort Collins-- it is a " usual" to look out our windows and see at least 3-4 balloons above our house- on a weekend day. So fun for the kids!
That afternoon, we decided we better get out on the boat- since the days were numbered before summer was over. It was so awesome we were all able to be on the boat the entire time-- which meant for extra super amazing fun!! Allie, Liza and Caroline are the cutest little girls-- they had so much fun hanging out and tubing together!!
I love these pictures of Julie, Liza and Caroline below-
And then, it was the boys turn. They were wild! We tried tubing with Nathan in one-- and John in the other, however--- it wasn't balancing very well, so we put two to one!
On the home front-- the tomatoes were in high season--- so we made sure to make lots of yummy tomato -ish foods. Mmm mm homegrown tomatoes-- everyones favorites!
Happy Birthday Dan!!! 42 years old. Just a few months older than Mark. We got lucky- and had Dan and Julie here in Colorado on his Birthday! We just had to celebrate!!
Julie brought some amazing crepes she'd made from Utah- for breakfast-- and then we finished off some amazing food for Dan's bday dinner. Mom even made two cakes to celebrate all the bday's she had missed since she was last with everyone. It was quite the birthday fest!
She even surprised the kids with some super fun socks! Grammie was Jackson's new favorite friend-- he LOVED the Mickey Mouse socks she gave him-- He's sportin' this look these days (as much as I try to hide them :)
The Feast didn't stop there! Julie made her (Dan's favorite) fresh peach pie.
Mmm Mmm-- it was seriously amazing!
While Dan, Julie and Mom were there- they came around with us to our events of the weekend. One of them..... picking up Maddie after taking her first driving lesson. She's not too happy in this pic-- the lady said she needed more practice. So-- she has been practicing like crazy. Wow-- you should see her drive now! She can't get her license until January-- but she is anxious and ready!!
Just after this-- we ran over to see Josh's first football scrimmage. It was awesome having Dan there (the football master) to survey the team-- and see what kind of season they were in for.
Another Gem while they were here-- was that Thursday evening we got the mail-- and found a lovely letter from the city saying we had to have all the grass clippings we had thrown behind the fence (since when we moved in- all the neighbors said that's where they put them and scatter them since the yards are so big)-- picked up by Saturday-- or we would have to go to court. Say What!??! I didn't even know they were bothering anyone. Well-- the neighbors plan didn't prove to be a good thing-- and the City didn't give us much time to get them cleaned up- so Dan, Jules, Nathan, John, Caroline and Liza-- TOTALLY bailed us out!!! They seriously made a huge stress-- super fun!! WE LOVE YOU GUYS!! We bailed hay (it felt like) for a few hours-- complete with major hay fever going on. Dan and Jules- kept it so fun!! THANK YOU!!! Bummer-- I also took a picture of Josh and Maddie and Mark working on the other side-- but somehow it got deleted. :( They worked hard too-- and did a great job cleaning it all up!
Finally our work is done--- Lemonade never tasted so good!!
And just like that the weekend/ summer was over-- and it was time for the kids to go back to school. I never like this day. It gets so quiet-- and I miss them so much after playing/ working together with them all summer! They sure love it though--- it's always so exciting to see whose in your classes, and get to see your friends again.
Here is Zack starting 7th grade!!
Allie on the first day of 4th Grade!
Bummer- I didn't get the Josh and Maddie on their first day. :(
Jackson wasn't so fond of the kids going back to school. Everyday-- he ran to the Dining room windows to see if they were coming yet-- it made me so sad. One day-- since he has never watched anything- or been interested in any movies/tv (or sitting still for that matter) I decided maybe he would like to get his mind off of them leaving- so we turned on Curious George. Oh boy! If only I would have known. I didn't realize this one time -- would get him addicted. He is now a serious Curious George lover. At first it was cute and all, that he would watch something, but now we have to limit him to one show a day on pbs kids-- The boy loves "George!"
Josh-- and his many high school sports. It started as a freshman-on the Freshman soccer team and track. Then, as a Sophomore he made the Soph Basketball team, Junior year- he ventured into Cross country and track, and now this year-- he came home and said he is going to try out for the Football team. What has happened-- we have been so good at protecting him from this sport all these years, and now he wants to play? Thankfully, he said he is only going to play Kicker. Which sounded great to us. I think I described this a while back-- but his buddies saw him kick once-- and it was an awesome kick, so they told him he should try out -- So he did. Here he is in his first game kicking! Woohoo-- he did a great job. He often kicks a touchback- so he is feeling pretty stoked. Best of all-- is that this year the football team is full of a lot of really good kids-- most of them are his closest friends. So-- he has loved traveling back and forth from Denver-- and hanging out with them in the bus etc-- instead of always waiting for them to get back from the game.
This kid is just funny-- Always!!
Fort Collins Temple Ground Breaking
August 24, 2013
What an incredible event!! We were so grateful that Mark was able to help plan and prepare for this great day. Ever since he was called in June-- they have been meeting at least 1-2 times a week to plan. There was a lot of coordinating-- to get ready for this day.
The weekend started with a dinner on Friday night put on by Sandi Garrett-- she doesn't do anything small. It was amazing-- the whole evening. She went way out of her way to make it so special. Mark and I definitely felt pampered to be there. The best part was having the chance to meet Elder Rasband (Presidency of the 1st Quorum of the Seventy) And Elder Walker (The Executive Director of the Temple.) They were awesome-- so funny-- super down to earth-- and just fun to be around. I didn't take pictures at the dinner- cuz that would be weird, but here they are below lifting the first dirt at the groundbreaking. Left- Pres. Bills (Denver Temple Pres) Elder Rasband, Elder Walker, and Elder Rhodes (Area Seventy.)
Then-- it was awesome! They invited up the kids. Since we were sitting on the second row-- Zack and Allie popped right up there-- and got to chat with Elder Rasband while other kids were coming up.
"One-Two- Three- Lift!!" That's what they kept saying to the kids-- They did a great job!
Our whole family even got a chance. Super fun!! We were missing Jackson! He stayed home with the Keates- since he is super active-- and I was super sore and weak from my D&C (the day before.) Kim had offered to take him- since she wasn't able to come to the site- as Tyler was on call, and her kids had other commitments. THANK YOU KEATES! I felt guilty the whole time-- They were so nice to help us. I can't imagine Jackson on the 2nd row- going crazy digging in the dirt!
Look at our coordinating colors-- and we didn't even plan it:)
The next week-- it was crazy time. We were trying to get Maddie and Mark ready to go to Guatemala. Maddie decided that she wanted to do a YW project by making fleece blankets, and giving stuffed animals to the kids. The blankets were to help the women/ kids feel comfortable as they were treated. So-- she collected like crazy-- calling, coordinating, and picking up things from all over. She did a great job-- but as it was time to get ready-- she realized she still needed more. So we ran to the store to get our part that we were donating. Jackson was a sport. He just sat there- pointing to which ones we should get. His favorite of course-- the ball ones :)
One family night, the whole family helped cut fleece. Blankets-- blankets-- blankets!! We just kept cutting! It was so fun to work together! The next Wednesday-- Maddie coordinated to have all the Young Women help tie the edges of the blankets. Then-- Friday-- we vacuum packed everything-- and got them all packed up. And they were off!
So-- at this point, I ran out of time to journal these pictures-- so I thought I would leave open the blog- and type it up while Mark and I were in Portugal and Spain. It was great-- I typed for about 6 hours and got it all done and then-- went to transfer it--- and the window closed for no reason. I was so bummed!! So-- when I finally got internet again I decided to leave it open again so I could type again while we were on the bus. Great idea-- until my computer died- and shut down everything (without saving it.) Now I had typed for almost 8 hours-- to finish this post- and it was all gone.
So-- I'm sick of typing all the details- so here is a quick version of what's going on.
Maddie and Mark made it to Guatemala!!!! They loved every minute of it-- especially the story about Pres. Uchtdorf giving the village an apostolic blessing-- that people would come and meet their needs. As they arrived-- the village had been sitting on the steps of the church waiting for 7 hours-- and they burst out saying.... "They Came!!"
Maddie had a great time getting to know all these kids. They begged her to teach them "I am a child of God" in English-- so cute! She also had a great time with Lindsey Owens-- Dr. Owens daughter.
Maddie was an amazing assistant to Mark. The team wanted Mark doing the initial diagnoses-- so that Mark could make sure they kept all the vital teeth (if they could) so their bites weren't ruined. After the diagnosing-- they spent a lot of time pulling teeth --- they were so rotten. Maddie was amazing at getting all the shots ready- and helping pull the teeth.
After finishing up the dental work one night-- they all raced down to the temple. What an awesome experience!


Finally-- on their last day they were able to tour Antigua and Tikal. You should ask them about it--- it all sounds so amazing. I am so happy they got to do this together. Mark said it was his favorite time going- since Maddie was there.
While they were away-- we were so happy to go to Jeff and Becca's twins baby blessing. It was so fun to see them-- and Meemaw and Grandpa-- and enjoy fun times in their new home! Bummer- we didn't get a picture!
Afterwards-- we decided to go stay up at Breckenridge so we could play on Monday (labor day) with the Keate family. The kids had so much fun-- swimming in the pool, doing the alpine roller coaster, and alpine slide, getting ice cream, and playing in the mountains!
I love to see them play together-- so cute!
Jackson discovered throwing rocks in the mountains! :)
He especially loved his "Big Bed!" He was feeling pretty cool being out of his crib.
I finally got around to getting him some shoes that fit--- the only problem is, that he won't take them off! He is adimant that he wears them to bed-- at first I fought it, but now----
I pick my battles and this isn't one of them.
So-- remember that room by the gym that was supposed to be a neat and tidy storage room-- with two big closets in it-- and a stair case leading up to the other storage. Well-- it was the worst-- junk all ever!! Every time the kids were asked to put something away-- they just chucked it in there. It got old-- and was always filled with stuff so you couldn't even walk in it. Well-- We needed a real excerise room that was taller than 6 feet (our storage room) so Mark and Josh could workout in it too. So while Mark was away, I had this dandy idea!! I was going to make one-- and surprise him :) I put Josh, Zack and Allie to work and we cleared out the closets, took off the 5000 pound doors (it seemed) smashed our fingers like crazy, crowbarred off all the trim- so we could reuse it, and then started pounding out the closets-- so it would just be one big open room. Then came the joy-- I didn't realize there were screws into the concrete. I knew the walls weren't load bearing- I just didn't know how to get the studs out. So I called Dan. Long story short-- told me I should have someone (our handyman) do this part for me-- because I was going to have to rent a sawzall-- and then he totally didn't believe in me-- and my skills. Thanks Dan!! Actually-- I really am thanking him-- I started tearing apart those stairs- and it was a NIGHTMARE!!! And-- it would have taken me long after mark got home-- so the surprise wouldn't even be fun. So-- I hired someone for one afternoon to do that part-- and then got right to work hunging drywall to patch up the walls. Then, we taped and mudded, and finally painted the room. All thanks to You Tube!! It's amazing the skills you can learn on there. You know-- I'm also taking tennis lessons on YouTube-- who knew you could learn so much!?!!!
So-- while we were doing this-- Mark called-- and asked what we were doing. He He-- I couldn't hold it in-- so I told him. I guess that added a bit of stress to his trip-- but hey-- I think we did a pretty sweet job!
Anyway-- It turned out perfect-- and we are loving it! Allie was an amazing painter-- she painted that whole wall by herself (twice- because the color was weird!) I thought this was the perfect place for the kids to learn some of these skills--- since they hadn't had a chance before.
So-- while we were doing this-- Mark called-- and asked what we were doing. He He-- I couldn't hold it in-- so I told him. I guess that added a bit of stress to his trip-- but hey-- I think we did a pretty sweet job!
Anyway-- It turned out perfect-- and we are loving it! Allie was an amazing painter-- she painted that whole wall by herself (twice- because the color was weird!) I thought this was the perfect place for the kids to learn some of these skills--- since they hadn't had a chance before.
I think we did a pretty sweet job!
Anyway-- It turned out perfect-- and we are loving it! Allie was an amazing painter-- she painted that whole wall by herself (twice- because the color was weird!) I thought this was the perfect place for the kids to learn some of these skills--- since they hadn't had a chance before.
This is a hideous picture -- but- had to put it in for the record.
Here we are taping and mudding the ceiling and walls where the closets were.
And finally--- the finished project!! We ended up ripping up the floor so it wouldn't be a toe tripper, and putting those really cool vinyl strips down.
We couldn't be happier-- and I am amazed how much it is used!
A wide angle shot- which makes it look weird- and the floor is a weird color in the pic below. Oh well. The best part for me-- is that the kids now know that the storage is off limits. Where it used to be an extended play room- that just kept getting messier and messier! We got a small removable staircase for when we need to hall out the Christmas/ other stuff- so it seems to be working well.
I have to thank my little contractors/handy kids for doing such a great job!!
I have to thank my little contractors/handy kids for doing such a great job!!
Josh was little busy those first couple weeks of school, and let the lawn get a little long. He was still working to mow other peoples lawns, finish his normal job at Mark's office, do football practice-- and study for school. So-- some things had to give- and this was one of them. When he finally got around to it-- he made the most of it! :) Pretty cool Josh!
One of my favorite things about the end of Summer, is that the garden is in full bloom. Especially this year (thanks to an awesome Relief Society taught by the Ball's on secrets of gardening.) We used a little epsom salt in the hole as we planted the tomatoes-- and they worked better than ever before. We also layered paper and grass clippings in between the plants -- so we had no weeds! It made all the difference. We had so many tomatoes, peppers, cilantro etc-- we just had to make salsa. Thanks Mom (The past-- Utah Valley's canning hotline specialist- for real :) for all the help!!
Mark and Maddie finally made it home. That was a long 10 days for all of us-- but so worth it. They had an amazing time. Here- they are holding up a gift they were given from the ward-- They literally had nothing-- yet they were giving this to us. So meaningful!
They brought the kids some awesome souvenirs! Jackson and Zack LOVED the soccer jersey's, and Maddie found the perfect purse for Allie. Josh even got a cool wooden cougar- just like the one Mark got from his parents as a teenager. So fun!!
The boy discovered "Clean Cheese." (cream cheese) :)
This boy is so loved!!
Sometimes too much :)
This is where I wrote a ton--- The Great massive flood. Sad that this is the only picture I took. It was mainly taken to show how high the water was getting. But-- it's sad I even put it on here-- because it's so insignicant-we barely even got affected. So many are still displaced-- and have nothing to their name. Makes me so sad.
It has been an incredible blessing for our stake. Mark has been working like crazy to coordinate huge efforts in assisting everyone. We only had a few direct members of our stake affected--- however since we have stewardship over our whole stake-- The Stake Presidency- knew they needed to help everyone. So-- we have been working every week to dig people out. It's been an incredible missionary experience-- and the hearts are changing about Mormons in this area-- so cool to see.
One project we have worked heavily on- is the Baptist church. They were right by the river- and everything was destroyed. We immediately had all of our missionary's there to help, as well as all of our young men, young women, and RS etc. Mark and I went down one afternoon to meet with the Pastor to check on things-- and he was so touched at what the Mormon's had done. He said-- "What is it that you're doing between the ages of 14-20-- that you don't lose them all? Instead-- they come holding their head high-- and act as ministers of Christ. They are not of the world. And, the best part-- is that they don't even seem that they are sad or missing out on something. Instead- the are having fun together- while serving." He even told us- that he would have no problems giving one of them his credit card- to go buy supplies. "I trust these kids! And that's impressive." That was so cool to hear.
Our youth in our Stake are AMAZING!!!! Stronger than any other generation! This was the perfect testimony that - Teenagers aren't just problems-- they are most often the solution. They are standing strong in a world- so warped. And, like he said-- they hare happy to be doing it!! He also commented on our missionaries- who worked tirelessly all day- on their church. He actually did hand them his credit card. This flood has been so horrible-- yet-- the hand of the Lord is here-- through every step-- and it has helped us grow stronger and closer with other churches, as well as-- strengthened our community.
One project we have worked heavily on- is the Baptist church. They were right by the river- and everything was destroyed. We immediately had all of our missionary's there to help, as well as all of our young men, young women, and RS etc. Mark and I went down one afternoon to meet with the Pastor to check on things-- and he was so touched at what the Mormon's had done. He said-- "What is it that you're doing between the ages of 14-20-- that you don't lose them all? Instead-- they come holding their head high-- and act as ministers of Christ. They are not of the world. And, the best part-- is that they don't even seem that they are sad or missing out on something. Instead- the are having fun together- while serving." He even told us- that he would have no problems giving one of them his credit card- to go buy supplies. "I trust these kids! And that's impressive." That was so cool to hear.
Our youth in our Stake are AMAZING!!!! Stronger than any other generation! This was the perfect testimony that - Teenagers aren't just problems-- they are most often the solution. They are standing strong in a world- so warped. And, like he said-- they hare happy to be doing it!! He also commented on our missionaries- who worked tirelessly all day- on their church. He actually did hand them his credit card. This flood has been so horrible-- yet-- the hand of the Lord is here-- through every step-- and it has helped us grow stronger and closer with other churches, as well as-- strengthened our community.
Loving watching our kids play soccer!!! Great job Zack-- always some amazing shots-- and skills!!
Allie had an awesome season!!! She's quite the aggressive little one!!
We were bummed- because the day I brought my camera Torrey (her other closest friend) wasn't there! We'll have to get another picture-- it was so much fun for them to be on the same team!!
Zack and Allie make their earning chart. Zack is trying to earn money for his tournament-- so he made a handy dandy chart. They have been working hard to redistribute all the mulch that has been blown away in the yard. It's looking good!
This kid is hilarious-- I often find him getting into the other kids stuff while they're at school. It's a magical world inside their lockers!
Random FHE Jackson walks in all ready to play BY-U football!!! So cute!! We are in the glory days with this kid. We are constantly entertained and laughing our heads off. 2 year olds are the best!
Our favorite new tradition. Zone Meeting Breakfast at our house--
the Saturday after transfers.
the Saturday after transfers.
We love having the missionaries in the zone (our stake) for breakfast every 6 weeks (each transfer.) This is a great way for Mark to get to know each Missionary- as they start their service in our Zone. They come with so much excitement-- and their spirit is strong.
It has become a huge blessing in our lives, and our kids love every minute of it.
It has become a huge blessing in our lives, and our kids love every minute of it.
I love that they get to participate. They all get dressed up, and join the meeting.
So Awesome- to be a part of their Zone Meeting!!!
Since Transfers fell on Conference weekend-- we thought we'd serve them our tradition of cinnamon rolls, egg casseroles, breads, and fruit. Mm Mmmm - so yummy!
And Sunday Morning- we stuck with our usual tradition of Mark making French toast. The kids love this tradition-- and Mark makes some of the most amazing French toast!
Jackson did amazing-- and colored his little heart out- all through conference.
This kid often comes up to me during the day and says-- "Mom, Is it time to make cookies?" When I say no-- not today. He says, "Ok-- then lets just make cake." :) He's hilarious. I guess I need to tone down the baking. We really only bake on sundays-- but in his mind, it's the funnest thing we do. He loves to sit up to the mixer and put everything in. So cute!
One Fall day-- I couldn't resist, when he asked me-- I thought-- Ok-- let's make cake. So we made pumpkin bread (I got a new healthy recipe with greek yogurt, wheat flour and applesauce-- and no one even knows:) Anyway-- he LOVES this kind of cake-- so it turned out a success.
When the kids got home- he was so excited to show it to them. So we all sad down to watch yet another "What does the Fox say." The over-watched favorite has become Jackson's new fave to sing to-- and the kids just love watching it with him- and listen to him sing it. Truly-- a trend of it's time!
Yet- another self-y by Allie. She is hilarious. She must have found my phone while sitting & waiting for me to pick up the kids from young mens/ young women's at the church,
Like I said-- I can't get these shoes off this kid!
Zack and Allie have a new love for Choir. They are amazing- you should hear them. Here is Zack on his way to his Honors Choir
Look at that handsome kid!!!
Braces Weekend October 2013
So-- we were so excited to get a random Braces weekend in this fall. We hadn't really planned on one- because everyone was originally coming here for Thanksgiving. However, things fell through-- and Alyson needed to get her final retainers before her mission- so we were so lucky to have everyone come. It feel right over Utah's Fall break- so we had everyone. Deb, Rob and Kids, Leslie (we missed you Dave) and girls, and Cher and Bry (thanks to their plans getting changed because lake powell was closed for Government shut down.) We missed Dan and Jules and Mom this time because they were in - Bryce Canyon-- apparently one of the only government areas in Utah open.
Anyway-- While they were there-- Bry- jumped right in and decided to cut our lawn. While they were out there, I looked out and there was Allie- mowing away! Ha Ha-- Bry was teaching all the kids to mow-- and they were loving it!!!
Ellie, Brynne, and Tom all anxiously awaited their turns!!
That evening-- Mark and Allie got to go on a date to the Powder Puff Derby for Activity Days.
They had so much fun building her car together-- and in the end, all of Allie's sanding paid off!!
She won 2nd place!!!
What a good looking car-- and Super Cute Girl!!
While Mark and Allie were on their date-- we all went to Josh's football game. Everyone was so awesome to all go out and support Josh. They sat in the freezing cold-- and didn't even get to see Josh play. On the first kick off-- he tore his hip flexor. What a rip! Literaly :) We were so sad for him.
Bry is such a pop-off!! So-- Since we all know Fossil Ridges record-- I warned them that they probably wouldn't see much action. The first part of the game-- was pretty boring (besides Josh getting hurt- but he just limped off- so no one knew.) Nothing going on, So I thought I'd take some pictures. I say-- "look here and smile," Bry-- immediately opens his mouth- like something amazing happened. Ha Ha-- made for a great picture!
Funny thing is--- this ended up being their best game. They played awesome this whole game-- and the band (which just took state for the 2nd year in a row) got everyone riled up! For some reason-- the band only comes to special events-- in fact-- there is hardly a crowd. It's kind of sad. I know its because their team is horrible-- but maybe if more people came they would do better? Just a thought. Interestingly-- both games the band came to-- the either did awesome and just lost, or they won.
It was sad to see Josh hurting so much in the game. At this point we didn't know exactly what happened. We just knew he hurt it. Bummer!!
Saturday morning we got up early. The boys headed down to work on flood clean up, and the girls went to Allie's soccer game. It was so cold-- but so fun!
We were especially happy to have Cher and Bry come watch on their way back home. We were so happy they could come!!
And this...... Is I think one of the cutest pictures ever!! Allie and her buddies Brynne and Ellie!

Saturday afternoon was so much fun.
We moms and older girls all went for a hike- to enjoy these awesome Fall days!
And-- to celebrate Alyson's last time being here in CO with us :( It's so sad to see this girl pack get split up. They have been best of friends through the years-- and Alice has always been the leader. These girls look up to her so much-- and she is one awesome example to us all!!!
We are going to miss you so much Alice!!
Since this was one of the "last" times we would get to be together-- we had to take some fun pictures of these girls. Oh the memories they've had together! I'll have to find another post from a few years ago-- of these some of these similar shots-- now look at them, they are all growing up, and will be leaving on missions-- and moving on with life. So sad-- yet SO grateful for the bond these girls have!!
I hope they always stay close. They've all already decided that they have to help pick each others spouses-- so they all like each other :)
Like I said this is Alyson's last time in CO-- so we had to make the best of it- and make her favorite cake-- the Peanut Butter Cup Cake!
Uncle Rob gives the best Horsey Rides!!
Some of my favorite people in the world to work in the kitchen with!!!
Good things always have to end-- but at least we make the best of it!
Zack and Tom have always had a special little bond. Many of times, when it has been time to go-- We have found Zack crouched below Toms feet, hiding in the car. We have even had to pull him out-- with huge tears streaming down. So sad. Now-- they have figured out a mature way to say goodbye. The jump hug!! So cute!! I love these boys- and their love for each other. It was cute, on the last night they were here, we were all gathered for family prayer, and they came in and announced that they had their lives all figured out. They were going to both go to BYU- and room together for Summer semester. Then-- they were going to go on their missions -- to the same mission. Then-- after their mission, they were going to marry best friends. After that- they had plans to go to orthodontic school (the same one of course) and finally-- work in a practice together. Oh-- and of course...... they were going to also play a lot of soccer during this whole thing :) I love it!!! Wouldn't that be amazing if that panned out!!

FALL in Fort Collins has been amazing this year!!!
This is from our front yard- with no editing-- just the gorgeous real colors- and sunlit tipped leaves. Aaaaah-- we are in heaven!!

So-- this year we just put out our usual decorations. "Mr Bones" and the same old hay bail etc. The only problem, is that Jackson was not a fan.
Every time he walked by the front door (inside,) he freaked out.
So-- one day (while playing soccer on the front lawn) I decided- let's go meet Mr. Bones. He freaked out-- No! Until all of a sudden, he got the courage - This is him walking closer and closer-- the funny thing is..... he still wouldn't go off the grass. Mr bones was much too scary.
The kids thought that we needed to make him more friendly-- hence the apple in the mouth (above.)
It actually worked-- by the end of the season-- he warmed up, and at least looked out the window.
Like I said-- all the trees were amazing!!

Just enjoying a few yummy carmel apples-- We love Fall season!!!

Allie and her glam :)
Playing outside in that beautiful evening sun.
Mark and I - just had to join in with the kids and jump!!!
Picky- Picky- Picky! This boy is getting some opinions. Here he is-- after crawling out of his bed in his room- pulling off his long pants. He said "I just sleep in shorts!" I fought him on it so he'd stay warm.
Until out of the blue-- he found a pair of shorts in my laundry room and came out like this :)
I guess he won :-/
So-- For Maddie's 16th birthday we decided to go to Utah (it was perfect time with Alyson's mission talk on M's bday) So-- Maddie and I decided it would be fun to spend friday and friday night together with just us-- then head down to the cousins on sat morning. When she got there-- she was so excited--
the cousins were going to go out to breakfast!! We literally pulled in- and she left for breakfast, and I jumped in the car to go for a casual hike. I happened to be still in my sweats (which I slept in :) but- I thought- who cares. Well-- apparently, If I had known, I should have cared a bit more. As we were hiking (running) along, they tell me-- oh ya, It's hunting season. Just then, we see a two men dragging down a dead deer by its antlers. Anyway-- as we passed them-- they stopped us and said-- you know-- you're wearing the worst color possible up here. Then he pats the deers butt and says-- "You're wearing the butt's color!" Nice-- So the whole way-- I was freaking out. Someone forgot to give me the memo. They all had some cute bright orange-- orange and blue (actually bry was in black) but-- I sure felt a like the target. So-- we tried to trade shirts- or at least pull off the white. Unfortunately-- I had to wrap it around my waste. So-- I that made me the total laughing stock of the group. Thanks guys!!! Thankfully we made it out alive!! Bry was so kind to send this picture below (we took it to remember our awesome hike) So I thought I should add what I really looked like -- and send it back to everyone! :)
He He -- I think I'm so funny!
That afternoon, we had fun making cookies and getting ready for the Sunday dinner. Deb made an amazing spread-- and an incredible pork, thai salad. Mmm Mmmm
Mike and Becky are the best! It was so fun to see them!
Cute, fun shots- with Alyson!!
Loving every minute to hang together!
And the "Mom shot!" with the photo bomber :)
We miss you Alyson!!! Good Luck in Tampa Florida-- Spanish Speaking!!! She will seriously be- such an incredible missionary. You should have heard her speak-- SO inspiring!!!
As we arrived home that night-- it was the sweetest thing ever! The whole family had decorated the house for Maddie. Her big Sweet 16!!!
They numbered each balloon- up to 16!! So many fun years-- and fun memories with Maddie!!
And she had some super thoughtful gifts waiting for her!!!
MADDIE
Maddie is really becoming such an amazing Daughter, Sister, Friend, and WOMEN :) She has a personality that lights up the room-- yet she is kind, sweet- and helpful to everyone.
Here are her FAVES!!!
Favorite color: Still Pink with a tich of Blue sometimes too!
Favorite Food: Chicken and Mashed potatoes
Favorite thing to do: Hang out with cousins and friends
Favorite Subject in School: English (she wants to be an English teacher)
Favorite Sport: Running and Sprinting in Track, and Tennis
Favorite Treat: Peanut butter cup cake and Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
We LOVE that she is:
She is thoughtful and leaves super kind notes to brighten her siblings day
Is SO much fun!! She loves to have fun-- and brighten up the day-- and not be serious :)
Hard worker and very responsible-- When something needs to get done- she does it!
Never complains about the dishes-- just does them (that's huge!)
Determined to get what she wants :) She will go places!
Obedient
Happy
Early to bed Early to rise kind of girl! She doesn't waste time, and she knows her boundaries.
That's impressive!
Incredibly talented at almost everything-- She sits down to learn a song on the piano-- and it's learned.
You should hear her play!!
And She is GORGEOUS!!! She has the prettiest features--
and most importantly is so BEAUTIFUL inside!!!
Most of all-- Maddie is a super sweet girl-- willing to do what's right even if others aren't. She is a great leader in our family-- and helps out with so many responsibilities-- she is super smart and talented!
We are so grateful to be trusted as her parents!!! She is an incredible blessing in our family-- and brings us all SO MUCH JOY!!! WE LOVE YOU MADDIE!!!!
Since we weren't home on her birthday-- we did a little bday celebrating after we got home.
It was so fun to have Jeff and Becca, Lily and Natalie join us!!

Becca is amazing with these twins-- she makes it look so easy!!
Since Mark's bday is 4 days later- I was going to make two cakes-- but he wouldn't have it. He wanted just one-- since he got his cookie cake on his actual bday. So they shared!!
I wish they had a good Baskin Robbins here-- the one we have has about 10 flavors- and they are usually all crystal-ed over. And-- we have some young women that have worked there-- that say they won't eat their ice cream cuz the shop is so dirty. That sealed it for us. So-- he enjoyed his second fave-- Chocolate chip cookies and Breyers Vanilla Bean Icecream.
HAPPY 42!!!
On Mark's actual birthday--- he had to be at an early morning meeting-- and then as the schedule fell-- it was coordinating council (Mtg with Area Seveny and all 12 of the Stake President's in our area.) So-- we made the best of it- and made a quick steak dinner for the 30 minutes he was home. It was so awesome to celebrate our FAVORITE DAD!!!!! Seriously-- Mark is such an incredible person. I am amazed by him every single day. He does it all--- and makes it look so easy! He has an incredible way of managing a huge business-- and a huge stake with and never have I seen him get ruffled over it-- (oh-- and our family---- and me and my emotions :) I am so grateful for his incredible strength-- and example and I'll stop there-- cuz I might start getting way too cheesy :)
WE LOVE YOU MARK!!!!
Since we were going to Portugal-- Mark really didn't want me to spend money. He wanted that to be his present. I didn't think that was very fair though--- So I did my best.
For years he has commented on why I took the time to change out all of my baby photos- to acid free paper instead of the old magnetic books (Not that he commented all of the time-- but the subject came up whenever the books came out.) The only reason I did mine- was because I had time when the kids were little (Life was much easier-- I hate to say-- because I was in charge of the schedule, and their schedule didn't consume me.) Anyway-- So I thought-- since I couldn't spend money, this is something I could do. So I did-- the house fell apart, and things didn't get done-- but this did! It's not even fancy -- but at least his pictures won't be fading anymore. We were starting to notice all of the color fading-- and discoloring in areas. So-- it's done!! As we gave it to him that night-- he was super excited, and the best part was having him describe all of his childhood to the kids (in the very short time we had.) It was so cool!!! I can't believe how much Jackson looked like Mark as a 2 year old-- kind of fun!!
Ward Trunk or Treat Party
Fun times getting ready for our Halloween Party!
Here is Maddie and Cambri--Wonder Twins!
And Allie-- our Captain America Girl!
This was a stretch this year. We were stumped on what to be. So-- what else other than..... Jackson's latest obsession. He was thrilled-- we looked like dorks! :) Oh well-- you can only play off the 2 year old for so long. Poor Mark-- he really won the prize this year. When I handed him the costume-- he was thrilled -- as you can imagine :) Oh well-- I told him - next year he is in charge.
I made the hat in about 5 min-- and it shows. No time to do it right. It looked pretty bad under the edges-- bummer, I should have turned it over. Then, only people over 6 feet tall would see the horrible craftsmanship. Oh well- it was worn for an hour--- and Jackson loved it!!
Another Glorious Fall day. Out on a run-- and our typical stop by the park at the end. Jackson used to be so patient with the run. However, the longer I go- the more wiggly and "get me out of here" he gets.
Bummer-- it has been so nice to have him as my running partner!
Like I said-- this might be this kids only baby book-- so I'm including all the detes.
I love this stage! Here he is-- coloring away. I love the cute little kneeling-- and concentrating. And-- I especially love his proud face-- when he's all done and shows everyone his masterpiece!!
Zack received is Star Rank Advancement!!
We have such awesome Scout leaders!! Zack has been loving all of the camp outs this year-- and has done a great job earning his merit badges!
It's hilarious. For a month we looked for his shirt. I kept asking him to look in the trailer-- and he'd come home and report. Nope-- it's not in there. So-- it was mighty embarrassing to show up to the Court of Honor-- looking like this. If I realized it was a court of honor- I would have ran down and gotten him a new shirt. Anyway-- As Mark and I walked up to the front to get the parent pin, we asked-- "If anyone has seen a shirt let us know." Bro. Kochevar, his Scout Master.... immediately said. "Zack-- it's in the trailer!" Nice!! So-- they went afterwards and got the shirt back. Zack and his amazing talent for losing stuff!!! At least he now recognizes it-- and we all can laugh about it!!
We're having some spoiled moments around here. Jackson thinks he needs to be held at all times. Weird. So-- we're practicing not giving in. It's killing all of us! :-/
The 4th Grade Musical
Here are Allie and Devree after the 4th grade musical. They did an amazing job-- and are looking pretty sweet in their togas! Allie was so excited to get a speaking part-- and did a great job saying it loud and clear! Great job Allie-- so fun to watch you shine!!
I have no idea how this happened, but I look down at my phone and Jackson's calling Rulon Stacey. Rulon-- is the CEO of the Hospital, and huge leader around here-- he's basically famous :) Kind of awkward to suddenly be calling him. Don't worry- I just jumped on and said-- "Dude-- What's up?!??" :) Mark talks to him here and there-- but he has no Idea who I am -- so I didn't think I should say that. We hung up really quick. I'm going to have to get a better lock on my phone!! This picture below-- was my attempt to hurry as fast as I could to hang up-- instead, I took a picture. Nice!
100 Years of Scouting Celebration!
Here are the boys (3 Troops) and their leaders at the reception for the Scouting celebration. Mark had to be all gussied up down at the Stake Center to meet with the whole Scout council over our whole area. We tried our hardest to get there- but with the boys schedules getting out of practice right before, we weren't able to drive there and be on time--
so, Mark isn't in the picture-- bummer!!
What an amazing job Salt Lake did-- it was so fun to watch!!
Josh and Zack thought that- if you sing and act like that, you shouldn't be in scouting :) I tried to squelch those comments and act very serious, because I knew how much work went into that. It was actually super amazing. I guess acting and singing isn't their thing.
So cool to see all the scouting community come together.
HALLOWEEN 2013
During the day-- we had a great time going to Mark's annual Halloween party- where they invited all the dentists in the surrounding towns. It's so fun-- everyone dresses up (even the visiting Dr's and staff.) I love our staff-- they go all out and do such a great job making their costumes- and dressing up!!
This year they did a
Super Hero Theme
Don't they look awesome!!
None other than-- Superman and Batman
Cheryl-- did a spectacular job with her costume!! She made the whole thing!

Throughout the month-- we asked each (invited) office to decorate a pumpkin. Then throughout the month the kids voted on their favorites!
Look how awesome these are!

And the winner goes to--- The bottom-- "What Does the Fox say!"They did a great job-- with sound effects and all!!
HALLOWEEN NIGHT
The kids and I had a great time carving pumpkins!! We had to carve them at the last minute this year-- because our Monday night - that we usually do them on- was filled with having one of Mark's staff members Karina and her family taking the discussions. We are now on our 3rd week-- and last night they decided they want to be baptized!! We are so excited for them!!
So-- if our pumpkins are weak. It's all worth it!!
Allie had fun helping me with our usual-- the braces pumpkin. Only this year- we got some great ideas from our friends the Huntsman's.

Allie also hel[ed carve the cat pumpkin too! And Zack- did an amazing Job with his ghost pumpkin. Josh and Maddie weren't really able to help carve- because they were trying to get their homework done so they could party at night. We missed their creativity- and skills!! And the littlest one-- is Jackson's. Great pumpkins guys!!
And the little ones were off to go trick or treating! Zack had already gone- with his friends (I'm so bummed, I didn't even get a picture of his costume! ) He was a magician- with a wild mask. And, Maddie had told Cambri that she would help her pass out candy- so she was over there- and throughout the night came back and forth between our house and Cambri's house.
This year was a bit different year than our usual. Josh had a great idea to have a party- for all of his school/ church friends so the teenagers would have something to do.
He started it by sending a text to about 50 friends. It said "There's a party and my house on Halloween at 7. Come dressed up and spread the word!"
Well-- apparently they did! We ended up having about 150 kids here. We thought many wouldn't come because they thought it would be a boring "Mormon" party, however throughout the night-- Josh had several people come up and say--- that they were allowed to come because it was a Mormon party- and they knew it would be safe. He even had several kids thank him for having it- cuz this was their first party they were allowed to go to in all of High School.
He had such a great time with all his friends!!
Here he is before the party- getting things all set up!
Again- all phone pictures so - lots of blur- but you know me, I have to document everything :)
Josh was a Hawaiin if you can't tell.
He did a fabulous job mixing the dry ice to make the drinks look fun. At first we thought we'd do the homemade root beer that Grammie made every year for our teenage Halloween parties. However, as we got thinking- we didn't want any chances of anyone spiking the punch. So-- we just bought normal cans. Not quite as fun as the bubbling-- foggy root beer, but much safer.
Josh put on quite the spread!
He was so excited that so many people came. I didn't get many pictures of all the kids there (cuz, that would be pretty dorky for me to go around taking pictures of everyone)-- but I just couldn't resist this one. So- I peaked over the Deck and grabbed this. There were kids everywhere- but this was fun to see them all chillin around the fire. I was amazed at how good all of them were--
Josh has a great group of friends!!
The next morning (at 8am) Mark and I left for Portugal! The timing of the whole party thing etc. wasn't great. But--we survived, and miraculously made it to the Airport on time-- thanks to Josh and all his help cleaning up- and helping us get ready to go. This trip had been planned for about 10 months-- and it was finally here! So here is a tiny glimpse of where we've been.
Pena Castle- right near where Mark served! To get this shot-- we took a long hike up to the Holy Cross (tip top of the mountain)-- it was some of the most amazing Castle grounds I have ever seen!!
Most importantly-- We had an incredibly, amazing time spending time with people Mark helped convert. After 22 years-- these women- remembered every detail of Mark's service.
I LOVED the stories-- Mark left quite the legend :)
After church we went over to their home for lunch-- It was so- super awesome!!
(These are iphone pictures- so the quality of the ones at church- aren't great- bummer!)
And-- miraculously-- he even ran into Carlitos (who goes by a complete different name now.) Mark met him on the Cape Verde islands of Africa- when he served there. It was seriously miraculous that he was here in this building on this day-- Such a tender mercy for Mark. Mark met him just after he was baptized, and ended up baptizing all of Carlitos brothers, and cousins. It was incredible to hear where they all are now. Many have served missions! One soul-- changes many lives!
Visiting Mark's mission was the coolest thing ever!!!!!
And after we spent 5 days in Portugal-- we headed over to Spain (this below is the Alhambra in Granada- pretty amazing.) Spain was cool-- but not nearly as cool as Portugal.
As usual, I took over 1000 pictures-- so there is more to come later. This post is SO long!!!























































































































































































3 comments:
Fun time and great memory making :)
WOW!! What an awesome post!! You are sooo great about taking pictures! Lots of fun and excitement in the Crane familia! Love all of them!! You guys are the best!! :) Love you lots!
I am now just posting. haha, great post and seriously lady you are so gorgeous!! Love your family photo up top!
Post a Comment