Rome-Florence- Tuscany- Pisa- Cinque Terre- Venice
ITALY
May 10-19
Ahhhhhh- just thinking back- makes me so Happy!!!
This will be a super boring post for all of you- but in trying to get my books updated.....
I can't just skip over the most awesome trip ever!
I can't just skip over the most awesome trip ever!
We usually travel with friends, family, or go see family ..... Which we LOVE! But, this time Mark had a great idea. It was our 18th anniversary..... and you know how Mark is with the 18th (flower on the 18th each month,) he thought we should do something actually on our Anniversary. Since the end of May is always so crazy, we haven't ever celebrated our Anniversary on the day-- we always say.... "We'll have to do something- another time." So- this time we decided- we weren't going to let another year go by. We first looked into going to Mexico or somewhere close..... but the miles/ hotel points were the exact same to go there vs Italy. Hmmmmm-- what to do?
This was our first trip since we were married with just us--
It was Awesome!
This was our first trip since we were married with just us--
It was Awesome!
We were so thankful that it all came together.....We got the awesome ideas from Paul and Raeanna (served his mission there- and lived there,) Dorothy-bike ideas, Itinerary tips from our friend's the Hartman's, (who had been a couple of times,) and it all came possible with Kendy being able to watch the kids, the week before she got married. I still can't believe it all worked out for her to do that. She was super willing and wanting to. They all had such an awesome time, and she did such a great job! Thanks Kendy!
This picture cracks me up! Like I even took it.....
Here we are ready to start walking! I actually was loving all of the cobblestone streets and paths--and had to get them on camera! This trip was full of walking-- loved it!
In fact, as we arrived at the airport, we thought walking to our hotel would be a great way to see the city. So we lugged our luggage (which I might add- we only took carry on size so it was sweet!!) and heft it up and down all the streets. We knew our hotel was across the street from the American Embassy- so this was an awesome sight!! It took us over an hour.
The next time, we decided to use the train. :)
Along the way..... We were introduced to a little Italian culture.
Oh my......the Gelato was Heavenly! We ended up eating a lot of that stuff this trip. Always-- Menta for me and Stracciatella (chic. chip) for Mark.
We also found out they really maximize their parking situations.
Since we got there in the afternoon- we tried to keep ourselves awake by taking an awesome night walk through Rome-- it was glorious.
Then we decided to get some seafood. We had heard it was amazing there. However, no matter how they described it..... it was always this! Clams/ Shell fish-- Mark got a little tired of picking through to make it edible every time. Not our favorite, but we kept hoping it would be some yummy fish.
It's funny- all of the suggested restaurants were off on these dark streets- just outside someones home- it was awesome!
The night walk took us through some amazing parts of Rome--this is the Pantheon above,
and Trevi Fountain below.
We also went through Trastevere, Campo de Fiori, Piazza Navona, the Spanish steps, and back home. We had to go back during the day, to get pictures of all those amazing sights.
The Vatican--I never cared too much about going to the Vatican, but of course we had to go while were were there. And....I have to tell you.....it was amazing. Mark and I really like art history so we decided to do it with a small tour. Our tour guide was a wealth of knowledge, and had recently gotten her masters in Italian Art History. It was fascinating to learn all about each piece of art.
Love those Nuns.

The Vatican is full of some of the most famous art ever. It was amazing to see it all in person. Our tour guide gave great insight- on why they were each made- and taught us tons about all of the greatest artists personal lives etc. Michaelangelo, Donitello, Bernini.
This one is "Laocoon and His Son's" one of the earliest Marble sculptures.
And this, of course is the Sistine Chapel. You're not allowed to photograph it with flash, or any small cameras- So I got what I could in the dark room. Wow- the history behind every single scene is incredible. So much connecting to the Plan of Salvation. We absolutely loved learning about these Artist's background, their belief in God, and the way they expressed it in their art.
St. Peter's Basilica
This was built by 4 different Architects- two of them were Raphael and Michaelangelo. So cool how everything -- seriously everything..... had symbolism. Loved the way they designed the light from the dome to hit certain things in the building. The Basilica is filled with Bernini's throne, Raphael's paintings, Michaelangelo's everything....even the Pieta. Way cool.
We loved the Pieta. Our tour guide gave us so many symbolic details- it gave us a much greater understanding of Michaelangelo, and his interpretation of the relationship between Mary, Jesus, and Heavenly Father. A lot of cool insight. It was awesome. Michaelangelo was actually extremely religious- and read the scriptures a lot. He hated working for the different Pope's, because they told him how it had to be done- and he didn't feel like it was the right way. But--- they paid him well, so he kept doing it. The David, Pieta, Sistine Chapel were some of his Art- he did them how he wanted to- not what the Pope wanted.
Inside the Vatican- they have this material that is extinct- it is the most valuable material on earth. This big bowl thing is worth like a zillion dollars or something.
And this little dandy- was the very first ever- Marble statue they found in Greece, which was the first thing Michaelangelo ever studied to intrigue him with the body.
Now that you are all refreshed with your Italian history :) Sorry- we just think it's pretty cool, And-- although it is all Catholic and everything..... it is amazing how so much of it related to the early Christian days-- we learned a lot about Peter's life as well. Mark couldn't stop reading. He could have stayed there all day- learning, learning, learning!
After we left the Vatican- we HAD to stop by "Old Bridge" and get some Gelato. Paul and Raeanna- gave us a few tips- and this one was a must do! Thanks guys! Mmmmmm- so yummy!!
Afterwards- we were on to see more of Rome. We wanted to do the night walk in the day- and go inside some of these buildings.
THE PANTHEON- was amazingly big- and super awesome! This was one we really wanted to go inside of. This building was built before Christ died. It is old! In fact, they say Moses walked here. Tons of history behind this-- but, you know..... it will get old if I share all the deets. At night- this is the happenin' place. We walked through a major outdoor opera (casual-street performer ) concert. Pretty sweet.
Loved their public drinking fountains.
The full Pantheon dome. It is massive inside!

Campo de Fiori
Aaaahh-- loved this place. Another Piazza-- but during the day, they have a huge flower market set up. Such beautiful flowers. Right near here is Trastevere. We didn't get pictures.... but I think we ate some of the best food ever. Loved the pasta there. The food was interesting in Italy. Anything along the beaten path- was usually gross. Stale pizza in the windows- with weird stuff on it. Weird fish dinners-- like the whole head, whiskers, eyeballs etc. But, if you got off- to the small restaurants--
It was amazing!
It was amazing!

Piazza Navona-- Another amazing Piazza- full of artists, and the Four River fountain--
Serious Architecture!

We had attempted once to find the temple sight, and got totally lost, in some hood. I was scared. Then of course.... we ran into the sister missionaries at a train stop. They were so helpful, and showed us exactly how to get to church- and the temple. So, on Sunday we ventured out. It was about an hour to the closest church from our hotel- a few different train stops- but we finally made it. I really love going to church in other countries. It was seriously so neat to wear the translation head sets- and feel the spirit anywhere in the world! Afterwards, we met this awesome senior couple - David and Carolyn. They were there as the project managers for the temple.
They were so nice to drive us over to see the temple sight.
They were so nice to drive us over to see the temple sight.
They even went and showed us these artifacts. This was at the mall just across the street from the temple. The Italian law, is that if they find these- they cannot build on the sight. They are all over this area, and so the church was worried they would be on the temple sight as well. It was cool to hear- that they were only found on the corner of the temple sight- so they could lay out the temple any way they wanted to. 

Here was the temple back in May- they are building all kinds of other stuff as well around it. Parking garage, Presidents home, visitors center etc.

The Colloseum
Not sure how I missed all this history before now- but Mark and I both loved learning about all of this.

The Arch of Constantine
The official declaration for Christianity. After Constantine had a vision ....that through Christ, he could conquer, he carried a cross into battle- and they were victorious! This arch commemorates the battle-and signifies that the Emperor Constantine had converted to Christianity.
Just a little FYI- in case I forget :)
Just a little FYI- in case I forget :)
The Forum-- Pretty much the oldest stuff in Rome! Dating back to the Greek days.
The Spanish Steps-- all kinds of significance here too-- but I'm getting sick of describing it :)
FLORENCE
Aaaahhhhh- LOVED FLORENCE. So cool to see why people left Rome--in the Renaissance days. What a breath of fresh air! We rode the train up early morning, checked into our hotels, and headed off to bike Tuscany. Let's just say..... Amazing! Here we are at the beginning. We wished we would have had our real bike gear- but then we would have had to bring a bigger suit case. So-- maybe some day we'll go back and really bike all through Tuscany. For now- we decided to just bike from Florence to Siena- about 30 miles through quaint- quiet- amazing towns. Loved it!
We biked through most of these little towns- and got to see the real countryside- and real italian villages. Oh my-- this was my new favorite!
We tried food in each stop- and they all had some tasty finds!
We biked through groves and groves of Olive Trees- beautiful!
And rolling hills of vineyards- unbelievably gorgeous!! The little red flowers you always see on Italian art--- are for real. Everywhere..... they are their wild flowers. So cute!

It was seriously- glorious.... Biking with Mark- and seeing that countryside!
And then we arrived in SIENA. The Gashler's (My cousins) would have really fit in great here. This is one of the oldest Midieval towns. My cousins all had Midieval weddings, and I could just picture them- right there in the square- all dressed up! Awesome!
This was another- amazing find. It looks sick- but was one of our favorite pastas the whole time. Great Restaurant- all the good ones are family owned, and the grandma is cooking it right there in the room for you-- literally- the stove was in the room. Sweet!
After our ride, We had a chance to walk through Florence at night-- beautiful!!
And of course- we had gelato again! I think we got it twice a day. :) It was awesome!
The next morning we woke up early to run and see "The David." Another amazing wonder by Michaelangelo-- Wow, we learned so much about his life- and his purpose-- it was cool. Not lovin' all the nudy shots- hard to show the kids the pictures. Wish they would just put a skirt on these statues :)
So- I found out after I took this picture, that I wasn't supposed to take pictures. I promise, they didn't even have signs up--- I just got attacked after I took it. Oh well- it is cool to see how big it is. Michaelangelo found this massive thing of marble, and asked if he could use it. This was one of his first sculptures- and he did this? It's like 16 feet- crazy!
Ponte Veccio Bridge-- Shops all along the bridge- and another European Love- Lock bridge. Thousands of locks- locked onto the bridge fence. Too bad we didn't have a lock- but we got a super cheesy picture instead! :)
We also climbed to the top of Santa Maria Del Fiore- aka Florence' Duomo.
It was beautiful up there, and the coolest part was walking along the inside Dome-
looking at all of the massive Mural's.
Loved the streets of Florence-- and especially the best ever crepes- with chocolate, and gelato! I need to go back to Italy just for that!
Pisa-Just an hour and a half from Florence is Pisa. We had to stop on our way to Cinque Terre. We stopped for about 3 hours- and got it all in!
Just like our last trip..... I think we had more pictures of us together, than we had almost our whole marriage. It gets old- just the two of us standing together- so we spiced it up :) Looks like we both need to work on our hand stand skills.
So when I saw the Leaning Tower.... I had no idea there was a big giant building next to it. Somehow- I missed that one. But..... there is. Here is proof. No one cares about that though-- just that the tower might fall over one day.
You walk up, and see about 100 people trying to position their hands just right, and then you see them all taking the pictures with an I-Pad of all things. Hilarious. Mostly Asian of course. I couldn't believe how many people used their iPad for their camera..... seems kind of big! We couldn't resist---Mark did a stellar job holding up the tower.
The Torino Mountains just out our windows on our way to Cinque Terre. Beautiful!
I had to take this picture, because at one of the train changes- I sat down with all of my luggage- etc. We thought the train left in 20 min. when all of a sudden a train came to the other side of the tracks- Mark ran over, and said- It's ours! I freaked out...... carrying everything over the tracks- looking to see if another train might hit us- really stupid that we even did that. Barely made it on the train, and then looked out the window to see my camera sitting on the bench. I started freaking out-- pounding on the windows to stop- Ya right! These italian workers tried to call a friend that was at the station- but for all we knew they were telling them to take it. I cried-- and prayed. So sad! The next stop was about 10 min. I thought for sure it was gone, along with all of my pictures- for months. We jumped in a taxi- right off the train, and drove back down the mountain. As we got there, of course my camera was gone. I just sat down on the bench and cried again- while mark was trying to speak some form of Italian to the people standing there waiting. Just then, the train office doors opened and a man offered me to come in. He pulled my camera out of a little locker-- I wish I had that on video. I seriously started talking any Italian- grateful words I knew. I cried and hugged the guy- and was seriously the happiest girl ever. It was a serious answer to prayers.
S0-- I just had to snap this shot- with such a bursting- grateful heart that I still had my camera!
Cinque Terra
Aaaaahhhh -- My new favorite place! Our friend's, the Hartman's had told us all about this place, and we could hardly wait to see it for ourselves! It was as glorious as they described! 5 little towns hanging off the cliffs- over the blue, blue Mediterranean. The idea is..... that you hike in between each of the cities, try their little specialty, enjoy the amazing views and get a good work out at the same time. It was sweet! We started in Monterosso, then on to Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and then finally Riomaggiore. Each of them have something special- we fell in love with it all!
This is right outside our hotel-- Hello Hydrangea's!! Beautiful!!
The hike was up through the hills- all covered in vineyards.
With amazing views around every corner!
And, of course- really good gelato along the way.

Coming down into Vernazza. It was sad.... about 6 mo. before we came, their little town was flooded- so they were all working earnestly to re-build it.
Along the hike, the trail went through the town. Loved the narrow little walk ways.
Via dell'Amore
Along the way- we hiked through Via dell' Amore. Just a little FYI- For centuries the towns people only married each other- since there was no path between the cities. However, in 1920 they made the first train between two towns. This became -- the lovers walk as they would sneak up to meet each other. They sealed their love by putting a padlock on the fences. Some of these locks are OLD!
And finally- after hiking all day..... we chilled on the beach just outside our hotel.
Venice
This was near the end of our trip..... and by this time we were missing our kids -a lot! So-- I probably shouldn't write much about this city. I might not give it justice! It was super cool- to see it all work on water, and really beautiful looking out into the water. But of course..... it was super touristy.....and you felt it- immediately as you stepped off the train.
That's ok though- it was awesome to see, and experience a different kind of life.
By the 100th basilica- we started saying- if you've seen one, you've seen them all. So- we stopped going in them. I'm sure this was super cool- we just didn't make it inside.
The Merchants of Venice-- is so true! We constantly had someone in our face- for us to buy something. They would try it on- and say- "You Like?" Thankfully we didn't get suckered in.
It really is cool- to see this town in action. What a fun way to get to work.
Loved seeing all the kids playing in the street.
Sad to say.... but this calzone was one of my favorite meals the entire trip. I think I thought Italy pizza etc. would be good, but most of them weren't fresh- and they had some cream stuff instead of cheese, and weed lettuce- on top that looked like basil -- but definitely wasn't. It was super rare to get any vegetables. In fact- the only salads are Caprise- which we love!
I ended up getting those almost every meal--
I ended up getting those almost every meal--
they were divine. Loved the Balsamic over there- mmmmTasty!
We found this little hole in the wall- and it was awesome. Full of all kinds of fresh veggies, and fresh marinara--- mmmmm.

Lots and Lots of really cheesy shots of us! We weren't quite sure what to do. I certainly didn't want all the pictures of just me-- and mark didn't want them of just him. So- we set up the camera, and handed it to people to snap it for us. Funny!

Lots and Lots of really cheesy shots of us! We weren't quite sure what to do. I certainly didn't want all the pictures of just me-- and mark didn't want them of just him. So- we set up the camera, and handed it to people to snap it for us. Funny!
This one especially! We were in Venice on our actual anniversary. So- of course we had to try out the Gondola ride. The entire time- we were laughing how lame we felt. Some guy standing up on a boat- with a hat on- rowing us around-- Weird.
Next time we'd rather rent a wave runner- and take off- and have fun!
And, just like that..... Italy came to an end. We love that country.
On our way back-- we had an 8 hour layover in Munich. We would have rather gone home, but decided if we were there, we should make the most of it! So, we jumped on the train and went into their main square. So glad we did- it was super cool.
We started by going to the top of Peter's Cathedral.
The Views were beautiful- and it was neat to see Munich from above.
Yep- German's like to drink Beer. A lot of Beer. This whole square was full of tables- and men sitting with their giant mugs full.
Germany- was such a delight!! I was CRAVING fresh food. As we walked through the square we found the Market--- Oh baby- I was in Heaven! :)

We happened to go on the day Chelsea was playing Munich- Bayern. I guess it's like their super bowl. The WHOLE town was packed- everyone getting ready for the game.
Serious German chants going on.
Loved the Maypole in the center of the Market.
As we walked through the town- we found the first German Beer House. This is also where Hitler- gathered everyone together to give his Nazi speeches. Germany was definitely cool. It was so crazy switching our brain thinking-- with the languages.
I have to admit though--- my favorite part of Germany, is that they had awesome desserts!!
Fresh Fruit + Chocolate-- Oh ya!! It was awesome!!
















































































2 comments:
Love it!! Looks like an amazing trip!
That looks SO WONDERFUL!!!! Wow! So glad you guys got to have such a great trip together!!! :)
Post a Comment