SPRING BREAK
in
HAWAII
I guess if there is one good thing about a high overhead at the office. . . it's the miles and the hotel points!!! So- we took advantage of it, and actually went somewhere for Spring Break. This was our first- family trip with just Us (besides skiing overnight.) And I have to say. . .Not that we don't love you guys to death--it was Awesome to be just us!! This is a mongo post --I've always been a little too camera happy (I think this trip was 1500 pictures!) So if you want the jist- look at the first picture and you're good. Otherwise- it might get pretty boring. Seriously, how long is too long for a post. . .this is! So Sorry!
We decided if we were going to go, then we would have to make the most of it. So, we took the kids out early and headed for Hawaii (Oahu.) Immediately after we got to the hotel, we all ran down to the pools and beach. Our hotel had awesome pools with waterfalls, caves and slides going through all the rocks. SO much fun for the kids!
Originally, we could only use miles to Lihue (our favorite of all) but-- we decided we can't take the kids to Kauai, without showing them the culture first. We wanted them to see the history, and get a feel for the culture--especially the Hawaiian people. That's what makes it so amazing. . . the Love they have is incredible. Otherwise, it's just another glorious island - with beautiful beaches! And- it worked better to use hotel points- definitely a plus! So-- here we are the first day we were there-- visiting Pearl Harbor. The kids had fun, but I too remember that place as a kid. I think I had similar thoughts as Allie! Actually, once we went over to the USS ARIZONA- they were fascinated, and started understanding a little more.
It didn't take long to hit the beach again. That's all they wanted to do at first. We had fun times racing and playing together!

We were the biggest tourists- I love it! We had those certain places we couldn't pass up. Of course the Temple was one of them. It's beautiful. The kids really liked going to the visitor center and watching the history of the LDS in Hawaii-- it's way cool! And-- the girls were so excited to get their first flower (for their hair) from the Sister Missionary's.
Who can go to Hawaii- without visiting the good old Dole Pineapple plant. We learned how to pick a pineapple, cut it and serve it--The kids loved eating it best! It was kind of a bummer though- it was raining so we didn't get to go out into the fields.
The highlight of the trip was visiting the Hitz Family. We miss you guys!!! They recently moved there to go to school at BYU Hawaii- We miss them a ton in the ward! They, of course showed us the town! Seriously- some of the yummiest shrimp- from their favorite Shrimp truck. Then we headed to the beach to boogie board! Here they are standing right on their very own beach (I know- I'm totally jealous!) They have a sweet house right on the beach- it's beautiful! The kids had the best time playing together- and the big kids loved Paddle boarding and hangin' in the hammock! Afterwards we headed our for more tasty food- and amazing ice cream! Thanks so much Ryan and Chandra--you guys are awesome! We wish we had more time to spend with them-- they are so fun!
THE POLYNESIAN CULTURE CENTER
I love that place! Going there was my biggest memory as a kid. The different Island cultures are so much fun! The kids loved it too--their favorites were the Samoan climbing the coconut trees, Tattoo's in Figi, Hula Dancing in Hawaii, Poi balls--and of course the drummers in Tonga! After going around to all the Islands- we went to the Luau. They totally dug up the PIG and the boys walked it over and placed it right by our table (full face, body- and all) Now, I'm even further away from liking that stuff. But- the kids totally porked it (get it! he he ) on the Kalua Pork. They also really liked the pig jerky, poi, and taro rolls. Then- we went to the "Breath of Life" show--SO incredible! I love that thing. The students are amazing! They work so hard, and do such a great job. They were so fun with the kids too, and afterwards totally talked to them about it all! The kids were fascinated by all the cultures!
Since Poi balls are so much fun- we had to get some. The kids worked on them, in between everything-- trying to get their hands together and then over the head and back. I totally remember doing the same as a kid--Looks like triple chin -still has it down! Seriously though- I worked hard- and it's good to know 24 years later- There's still one thing I can do that my kids can't!
It's not a true vacay-- Without COOKIES!!! So- we totally made some. Seriously- every time we go on trips they have the grossest treats. Where's just a good old chocolate chip cookie? Not the waxy- dry- gross kind. I love it- we totally made a Hawaiian play list- and hung out listening to it--making cookies- boys drumming on their tonga drum, and the girls dancing in their lava lava's--and of course Mark checking email and probably a few scores!

Hawaii is the coolest place ever--We're just driving along and run into vine trees. A few hours later- we had to pull the kids off to get home.
They had so much fun climbing, and swinging off -those incredible creations!

Sunday was such a cool day. We checked out- and went to church. Church in Hawaii is awesome! I love all the men in their Lava Lava's (or whatever they call them.) I still remember as a kid- watching all the Hawaiian people- and a little boy singing "With God nothing is impossible!" This time it was similar- the whole "Aloha"- and then the speakers kissing everyone on the stand as they sat down--I wish we could all relax around here a bit- not the kissing- but you know! After church we got on the airplane to head to our favorite place on earth!!
Sunday was such a cool day. We checked out- and went to church. Church in Hawaii is awesome! I love all the men in their Lava Lava's (or whatever they call them.) I still remember as a kid- watching all the Hawaiian people- and a little boy singing "With God nothing is impossible!" This time it was similar- the whole "Aloha"- and then the speakers kissing everyone on the stand as they sat down--I wish we could all relax around here a bit- not the kissing- but you know! After church we got on the airplane to head to our favorite place on earth!!
The Luscious Land of KAUAI!!!
We started Monday with our favorite hike ever--the Napoli Coast line! I was giddy driving there- We had so much fun hiking it last time-- and seriously has the most incredible views ever! When we got to the North side it was a down pour! And the hike had new signs (not the normal ones) that said--Hike at your own risk--Flash flood warning! Then it went on to say that this years water was extremely high- and it is dangerous to hike. So Mark walked on by, and said "We're fine!" So-- You know me--I Freaked out the whole time! Who takes their 6 year old and 3 others on something like that? We do- I guess! The whole trail was a waterfall. It didn't even compare to the last time we hiked it- it felt like a different trail. We had to hold hands to get across - and we weren't even at the big river going out to sea! So-- now the kids have another adventure someday- to hike the full 11 mile trail. We thought it worked out perfect. If they did everything, they wouldn't get to explore someday with their spouse- which is the funnest- so hat's off to the future!
Obviously- it wasn't that big of a deal-cause we made it. But- for the record- it was closed later that afternoon. SEE! It made me feel better, and that I wasn't that weird and paranoid!
Josh and Maddie LOVED snorkeling-- they swam right over sea turtles, and came out of the water and walked right past a sea lion. I think they're ready to Scuba dive!
Poi Pu Bay Golf Course--Mark and the boys were in heaven!
Kipu Falls
The kids favorite place on earth. We walked through a junglish land of sugar cane- and found Tarzan's home! We spent like 5 hours there- swinging off the rope swings and jumping off the cliffs. The water was crazy high again (completely different than last time- and we were sad we didn't see the local Tarzan boy there- doing back flips off the trees and swinging from rope to rope) But- it was still extra adventurous! Josh became the "Local"-- In fact, since we were there for -Forever- By the end, everyone was asking him if he was a "Local." Everyone jumped except Allie- and she was so close- until she looked off the cliff.
SURFING AT "DUKES"- We have this thing for "Dukes" I know it's a total tourist trap- but they have the best fish taco's ever, and it's just fun to surf right after you eat there. I love it-- we did the exact itinerary as last time (sound familiar Deb/Rob and Cher/ Bry?) When it's Good- it's Good! So we stuck with it! The only bummer was that the water was super high-- which made things totally different. In fact- when we went to swim in Queen's Bath- there was no Queen's Bath. It was totally covered, and the waves were crashing so high- they had ripped down more signs. Oh well-- another day!
Josh paddle boarded most the time while Mark surfed! He's still got it from those good old UCLA days! (well- kind of!)
We spent quite a few hours in the Car, going from place to place- which made for great togetherness!! I don't think there was a day that went by that we didn't see a few rainbows-- so fun! Josh worked on his braiding skills- and I still whipped out the usual- PB &H. One not so good thing, is that Hawaii has pricey food- That got old pretty quick (and the kids didn't even like it.) Making our own was much better. Although. . . on the treat side we didn't hold back-- We tried it all. Our favorites: Lappert's- Coconut ice cream- smashing!!! and Shave Ice Paradise- with the coconut macadamia nut ice cream on the bottom!

NAPOLI COASTLINE BOAT RIDE
Although the weather wasn't the best (it was kind of cloudy along the cliffs) the boat ride was awesome. We saw so many fun things--whales were everywhere- gliding along right off our boat. I was freaking out that it would tip us. The funnest part, I think was the spinning dolphins. Dolphins are cool in tanks etc.--but when you see them out in the ocean, in pack of 100- it's way cool. And the next best part. . . was the Captain letting all the kids drive the boat for real. When Maddie drove- I'm not even kidding- I thought we were going to flip- he had to help her a bit. Now- she's awesome!
And of course-- The sappy shots on the beach-- But hey, my little girls are growing up! Since we didn't get to really see the Napoli Coast line because of the rain- we headed back to some of our favorite beaches our last day. It was kind of chili so we didn't get in- but we had fun watching the roosters running everywhere, the waves crashing against the rocks. This picture is Ke'e beach-it looks right at the coolest cliffs ever. Maybe I'm just weird- but I have always been amazed by these cliffs--they are so majestic, right next to the ocean. I love it!!
And Finally-- we were all playing, and people kept walking by- so we got a shot of all of us- Having the best time ever!














10 comments:
So fun! I love just family vacations. They are the best! Last fall was our first one and I can't wait to go on another one.
Wow!! What great pictures! Way to go in getting this posted so soon! I've been trying for a few weeks now to get our pictures posted of when you were here- we really had a BLAST! There is always next time. =) Can't wait to play this summer. Yay!
I don't even know what to comment on, it all looked like such a blast! Sounds like you really made the most of the trip and I'm so happy you guys were able to just hang out together and relax. I'm so jealous of the boat ride along the beach line, I love seeing dolphins, whales, etc. SO FUN!
BEAUTIFUL PICTURES! Looks like you had a great time...you captured your trip so well on camera....LOVE IT!
Isn't Hawaii just the BEST place on earth!!?!? So glad you had such an incredible spring break. Love the pictures! HOW FUN!!!!!!!!!!
You win ... definitely the longest post ever; even longer than Raeanna's. Such a fun trip with the fam and great memories you'll cherish forever.
I love family vacations. Our first and only trip was to Boulder City, Nevada. The TV was a 9 incher. I couldn't even check the scores.
Reading the post reminded me of our family trip back in 85'
Cos...just getting to these. Looks like you guys had an awesome time!! How fun. Thanks for sharing the pics, you are becoming quite the photographer.
Next time call us and we'll meet you there! We LOVE Kauai and are due for another trip there!!! Glad you had such a great trip. We miss you guys!
What an amazing vacation! You will talk about this trip over and over at all your family get togethers. I love it!
Post a Comment