August 2nd 2014
The countdown until Ruby was born!!!!
A Saturday on the lake. Since I was 38 weeks along--We were trying anything to get some contractions going. Unfortunately- even with the bouncing- nothing started. Bummer! That's ok though I didn't seem to mind much. It was just blissful being all together laughing and having fun!
We ended up inviting a few friends! The Millers (Erika and Lily) and Michael Yeh.
We were on a roll to get everything done before this baby came. Maddie's license was a big item on the list! Thank goodness everything worked out, and the day FINALLY CAME!!!!!!! This girl wasn't happy or anything :)
Wednesday August 6th, 2014
By this day..... contractions had been coming every single night -two min apart. I thought of calling Mark home a few times- but never did. I felt like I should wait until I was screaming or my water broke. That never happened. In fact- after about two hours they would stop. SO frustrating!! I was finally determined this little girl wasn't going to come until the scheduled c-section on Saturday. This was so frustrating after being on bedrest for two months trying to hold her back from coming! Oh well- what do you do? So I decided I might as well not plan on going into labor- and instead go on with normal life. So- I went back to the lake with Mark to take the Laurels on their boating activity.
Such a fun bunch of girls! Erika, Mckenzie, Payton, Maddie and Cambri
August 7th, 2014
The next day I had my pre-op appt to sign all the paperwork for the C-section. As I was there, the Doctor came in mid contraction. These were the same contractions I had been having for over two weeks-- super strong, and hurt like crazy, but I could still function. Well- she didn't like how I looked, or that I couldn't talk- so she decided to check me. I was trying so hard not to get my hopes up- just in case she said I was still at a "good 4." But--much to my surprise....she checked and said "Honey-- you are a good 6 and almost fully efaced. I can't let you go home- you need to be in the hospital. This baby is coming!" WOOOHOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!! I couldn't believe this was for real!! I might not have to have a c-section!!!! By this time it was about 11:20am-so- I walked over (hunched over by lamp posts at each contraction,) I'm sure people thought I was crazy.
Thankfully I was able to call Mark as I walked though. I left him a message saying I was going to check myself in and that he shouldn't come yet. I really didn't want him to get off work and have to reschedule patients. In fact- since I never go fast- we decided he should just stay until the end of the day, get the kids settled and then come up. Unless of course- something crazy happened. So- It was a plan. Funny how things change by the 6th kid :)
It's a good thing- because not only did I not have the baby that day..... but I once again slowly progressed all night long. I have the LONGEST LABORS!!! I would have thought that by the 6th, I would have gotten a break on that-- but nope! That's ok, it was so nice to have Mark there hanging out together. I opted for an epidural when I was at an 8- around 6pm that night. I figured I was in for the long haul- and who knows when this girl would come. Thankfully time kept ticking and I progressed. By about 11:45am (24 hours after being admitted)
I was ready to push. Thankfully I didn't have to push much more than 15 minutes,
And this little miracle finally came!!!
Introducing.......
RUBY CAROLINE CRANE
August 8, 2014
6 pounds 11 ounces
19 3/4 inches
12:02 pm
I cannot even describe the sheer joy we felt!!! All the worries, all the feelings, emotions etc that it took to get this girl here ---were gone! SHE WAS HERE-- and I didn't even think for one more second how weird it was to have an 18 year gap, or if I made the right decision. I know with my whole soul that she was meant for our family. This tiny spirit straight from heaven was incredible. In fact- I remember just sitting there-watching her gaze into my eyes just after she was born- and knowing without a doubt that she had been waiting a long time to come. I remember thinking--of the powerful feeling I had just after Jackson was born that there was another girl--- and here she was…..in my arms….. She was ours. We needed her, and she needed us. Words can't describe the emotions and powerful spirit we felt that beautiful afternoon! I am forever grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who gave me these promptings and feelings. What a huge blessing Ruby is to our family!!
So- through all 6 kids I've noticed that the birthing procedure always has a new little twist to it. Just after she was born--- the nurses said …..."Studies have shown" that babies have to have skin on skin for a full hour with their Mom before anyone (even Dad) can touch them. Serious??? I have never done this. But of course- since "studies have shown" we listened. It was very interesting. I've never had my chest wide open for that long- SO uncomfortable! I was trying everything I could to cover up- but still have her on my skin. It made it very hard to get pictures. I have to say though-- it was super special to hold her for that long-- she was so sweet! I couldn't complain. It was then---- that I was flooded with many of those emotions and feelings of SO MUCH GRATITUDE for this little girl!!!! I just felt bad for Mark- that he couldn't hold her for a full hour! That was the hardest part. He did a great job taking pictures with Maddie though-and stood close by to embrace this awesome time.
We were so grateful to have Maddie there when Ruby was delivered. She went back and forth deciding if she wanted to be in the room. Finally after she got off work- she called and said- can I come?!! We actually wanted her to be there- so we were thrilled. She didn't see me actually have her- since she was in the corner of the room. But- she was there to witness a birth- and feel that amazing spirit in the room as Ruby entered this world. It was amazing.
It gave Maddie a whole new appreciation of what actually goes on
It gave Maddie a whole new appreciation of what actually goes on
to bring these little ones to earth.
So fun to have Maddie and Mark get all these fun pictures.
Dr. Eric Yeh did an amazing job! I was actually dreading having him be the one on call- since we carpool with his son Michael every other day for soccer. I was so embarrassed!! But--- he obviously does this all the time- so it became no big deal. I was just so grateful for his talents- and skills in helping her be born V-bac (normal after a csection) And- no c-section or uterus bursting!
Such a blessing!!!
Mark finally got to hold her-- So sweet!!!!
A little girl and her Dad! The best! I love how Ruby just kept staring at him, and as he spoke across the room- her head would follow. This girl knows her Dad!
Maddie's first time holding her.
She was living it up before all the other kids came up!
Our awesome friend Kim- brought them all up to see Ruby!!! And I might add- her husband Tyler did my epidural. I was so grateful he was able to-- since the guy on call was a new guy. I didn't want to mess with being poked wrong :) Thank you Keates for being so awesome to us!!!
Jackson's first time holding Ruby! They all got their turn- even though I don't have a picture of Allie. She saw Ruby for about 10 min, before being raced off to a soccer tournament!!
The next day, they all came up again. So sweet to have them all there! Bummer we were missing Allie though! She was gone to her tournament again.
****Put in the PICTURE BY BED
Jackson was already wondering "What is going on!" He kept wanting to get in the bed, and just sit with me. Poor guy! Thankfully he warmed up quick and said Ruby can come too :)
Quiet moments in the hospital are priceless!!! :) After Mark and the kids left (the hospital) early saturday morning for Denver to go see Allie play- I had some time to myself. Since the nurses were all in complete shock that this was my 6th child-- they decided they would leave me alone the entire time (other than a few pop ins- offering to take a pic :) Another reason they weren't there much-- was because …..gone are the days that they administer medicine etc. That first night -- when I was still so out of it---- they brought in a SAM kit. Self Administering Medication (a new Obama way to save money in hospitals.)
:-/ It was a little annoying the first day- when who knows how much medicine I gave myself- but after that wore off- it was nice - because I could actually be in control of me. The best part was not having as many interruptions-- leaving me with one full day to hold my new little baby with no distractions. LOVED it!
We had some sweet moments together...... everything was much more meaningful, knowing this would be my last. And-- through the many experiences before she was born-- I had some really sweet moments with this new little one.
I felt like I had so much to learn from her!
Then that night- Mark came up and we had a few moments with just us-- getting to know Ruby. It was pretty sweet! And then......
THE SURPRISES OF OUR LIFE!!!
I am still in shock about our awesome surprises!!! Seriously-- We are SO INCREDIBLY grateful to have had Cheri and Bry and Meemaw just pop in!!! We had NO IDEA they were coming!!!! So- you can imagine our excitement as they walked in!!! Cher and Bry drove 3 1/2 hours (after Bry's race in Leadville) and came Saturday night! And Meemaw flew here Sunday without us even knowing!!
BEST SURPRISES EVER!!!!
Cher and Bry were so nice Sunday morning to bring the kids up to see us in the hospital one last time before church.
Jackson wasn't very excited to leave though :(
That afternoon- Mark came up from the Stake Center (in between meetings) and brought us home!
It was awesome to have Meemaw there! Such a super fun surprise!!! She was so sweet and came over after Sacrament Meeting to visit us one last time before she had to head to the airport. Wow- What a huge sacrifice!!! We are SO grateful - it seriously meant so much!!
Coming home is always so much fun! The excitement is the best! And look at that sign!!!!! What an awesome welcome!!!! Just wishing Josh was there-- but he was finishing up his last week of finals before coming home.
The little one- was so tiny!!!
But- already within a day- she seemed bigger! Such a sweetheart!
On Monday- it was time to think about school starting. I was dying with the timing- but it all seemed to work out. We got them registered right before I went in the hospital- and the they went to school one week after she came home. Here's Zack's schedule to start 8th grade!!!!
Of course- that week was full of "Last Summer stuff" So we had the whole neighborhood several times to play. Yes-- I was a little overwhelmed. :-/ And hid out in my room a few times :) It wasn't quite the calm time I had had after bringing home the others. Oh well---
they all had so much fun- so it was worth it!!!
Even though the week was full of crazy summer stuff- we couldn't help stop for a little bit to enjoy with Ruby. Such a sweet little girl! We were all in heaven!!!!
So before Ruby was born I had all kinds of plans to take a million newborn pictures. I had printed out ideas, had props etc. Well-- then life actually happened and I ended up barely squeezing in a few.
In fact- every time I started.......

This kid jumped in- and said "Like this Mom!" It was so hard to ever get any with just her- and when I did- they just weren't like I envisioned.
My friend Courtney is the best!!! She called me randomly and said-she wanted to take some pictures of her as a gift (which I still can't accept!) She is too good!!!!! She is seriously amazing-- and has a full blown business. So I was so grateful she even had time to do this!!
I still feel really silly/ and embarrassed I let her come.
I still feel really silly/ and embarrassed I let her come.
However, she does such beautiful work- that I couldn't resist.
I was in love--- she did such an amazing job- capturing two week old Ruby!
She even made me get in the pictures...... which I never like. However, looking back- I'm so happy I have some with Ruby so tiny.
I love those sweet moments with them being so tiny.
Courtney is amazing! She has an eye for capturing the real life moments, and all the details! I am so grateful for her and her amazing talents!!!
I love them all!!
Even this one, that she caught as I was on the front porch saying goodbye--- I love that she got that ORANGE fuzz!!!! We are still debating whether Ruby will have Red hair!!! All of our kids had a tint-- but ended up blond. But this girl seems to have more than a tint!
Every time I'd turn around there was a lot of this going on. This little boy--- LOVES his baby sister!!!!!
And so does this BIG boy!!! Zack seriously could not stop smelling her! He was in love with her fresh newborn scent...... straight from heaven!
This was my look for quite a while. Sitting - and nursing. We were debating what color to change the chair. I guess the pink won.
We all seriously could not get enough of this little babe!
In the mean time..... life went on- and Maddie went to the barn dance up in Cheyenne. She even met all of her old AFY friends that live in CO. SO FUN!!!
One night Mark and I were sitting there--
looking across at all of our kids- and realized. Wow!
We have.......
A Newborn
One in Preschool
One in Elementary School (5)
One in Middle School (8)
One in High School (jr.)
And one in College!!!!
I couldn't resist posting that little piece of info on Instagram :)
Wow! Who does that!!! Almost no one!!
Only very peculiar people. :)
Thankfully our college kid was almost home!!! Josh finished his summer term strong at BYU- and was able to fly home only one week after Ruby was born. It was such a sweet moment the night we were all together under one roof again. FINALLY our family was complete, and all together for the first time ever!!! It was such a huge moment as we all knelt to have family prayer, that we had to take a picture afterwards.
I got a MANNY!!!!!!!!
As Josh got settled into being under our roof again (it was quite an adjustment for this party animal :) He struggled with having enough to do for the two months before he left on his mission. He was working at the temple every Tuesday all day, and at Mark's office in the lab and sterilization, but they didn't have room for him to work full time. So- he started looking for other work. It didn't take long for us to offer him a job. Woohooo! He was my new Manny!!!!

As you can see...... he's a natural!!! He did such a great job helping me out while I ran the other kids to and from soccer. Josh was on it with everything and was a huge help!!! He ran errands, went grocery shopping, did laundry, ran the older kids around, helped make dinner, whatever we asked- he did it and did it with pride!! Best Nanny I've ever had- or will ever get! :)
THANK YOU JOSH!!!!!!
All while this went on--- each kid took their turn to help out! Seriously-- we have the best helpers around here!!! So grateful for each and every one of them!
In the mean time- we were trying to soak up every last minute with Josh and make time to play together. We played Settlers of Cattan a few times- and became awesome gamers :)
Ha Ha--This pictures is super sweet huh?? Not really- it's pretty hideous!!!!! But I couldn't resist taking a picture in my "big white night gown." This beauty got me through several pregnancies. It was my good old standby as I got so big I couldn't fit in anything, and as I nursed at night. Love that thing-
even though it's almost shredded in some areas. Good think I will never have to wear it again!!
Most days- dinner was being made- with these two right by my side! Ruby was rolled around to every spot in the house in that bassinet. She actually loved it- especially when Jackson was right there to entertain her :)
SOOOO great to have Josh home!!! We missed our big brother so much!!!
While he was home- he thought he should pick up a few skills for the mission. One of them...... Haircutting. I told him- Jackson's hair was the perfect head to practice on :) He did a pretty sweet job!
Always love random shot like this in my phone!! Nice Maddie :)
And off to church we go for the first time since Ruby was born. It was a momentous occasion to have us all together at church again!!
And-- since Josh's time was ticking...... we made the most of it- and got to the lake as often as we could. He loves, loves the lake- so he made it easy, and had things ready to go when Mark got home. Good times, great memories!!!!

















































































1 comment:
So many blessings! COUNTLESS!!!
Post a Comment